lisa's Chocolaty Banana cake
If you've found this page, you got here from our Instagram feed. Hurray!
Nutty, seedy, chocolaty banana cake
- 2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature, plus 2 T for the pan
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup (poured, not packed) brown sugar
- 2 large, very ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup coarsely-ground almond flour
- 1/4 cup ground flax meal
- 1-1/4 cup All Purpose flour
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chunks or chips
For the top and pan prep:
- 2 bananas, sliced cross-wise
- Kosher salt
- Demerara sugar
- 1/2 to 1 cup whole toasted pumpkin seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cream together, either by hand or with a hand mixer, the butter, both sugars, and the bananas.
- Add the eggs and blend well.
- Add the vanilla.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients and add into the wet ingredients, mixing well to incorporate.
- Fold in the chocolate.
- In your large EuroCAST Dutch oven, coat the sides and bottom with the 2 T softened butter, toss in 3-4 tablespoons Demerara sugar, and shake the pan to coat all the butter with the sugar.
- Fill the Dutch oven with the batter up to 3/4 of the pan's capacity. (I have to say this because we have Dutch ovens of multiple sizes. Whichever one you use, you don't want to fill past 3/4.)
- Top with the long slices of banana, then with pumpkin seeds.
- Sprinkle the top with kosher salt and Demerara sugar.
Cook until a knife comes out clean 30-40 minutes. Let rest until at room temperature. Then HAVE AT IT!
And if you're feeling like you need a new ice cream flavor in your life, buckle up.
- Soften a pint of vanilla bean or coffee ice cream
- Blend in chunks of this delightful cake
- Pack into a freezer safe container and freeze until firm.
You will thank me.