Lemon poppy seed upside down cake. In a Dutch oven! Who knew?
This tangy, delightfully sunny cake makes an elegant dessert.
INGREDIENTS FOR UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-3/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling (optional)
2 large eggs, room temperature
2T. lemon zest plus 1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3T. poppy seeds
2 lemons sliced thin and seeded
INGREDIENTS FOR POWDERED SUGAR GLAZE
This is drop-dead simple. You'll love it.
1 cup powdered sugar
4T. lemon juice
Mix in a large bowl with fork until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter the bottom and sides of your 5 quart EuroCast Dutch oven.
- In concentric circles, line the bottom of the Dutch oven with thinly sliced lemon slices.
- Sprinkle with 2 T. sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sugar, eggs, zest, juice, and milk.
- Whisk in butter.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, until just combined.
- Stir poppy seeds into batter.
- Mix to incorporate.
- Bake until knife comes out clean, 30-35 minutes.
- Cool 15 minutes in pan, then invert onto a cake stand or serving platter to cool completely.
- Drizzle with sugar glaze.
Upside-down cake in a Dutch oven? Who knew! And so easy with your EuroCAST Dutch oven.